Rarely mentioned concerning the normal date of the Annunciation, March 25, is the Golden Legend.
Archbishop Jacobus de Voragine wrote about the Legend in 1275 where on this day occurred, but in different years:
- Adam was created and fell into original sin
- Cain slew Abel
- Melchisedech made offering to God of bread and wine
- Abraham offered up his son Isaac
- St. John Baptist was beheaded and St. Peter left prison
- St. James the More was beheaded by Herod
- And it is the day on which Jesus Christ was crucified.
It's only legend, but it's beautiful and will we really be all that surprised to find out that it is absolutely true?